What's more classic than a red lip? If you've been reading on here you might have realized i love clean and classic looks for pretty much everything, make up being no exception. Red lipsticks is a beautiful bold statement but can be intimidating to try on or even keep on. here are my 5 tips to help you rock a beautiful red lipstick look:
Tips to wear red lip stick
1. Prime- i used to never be one for lip liners or premiers. i always thought it was tedious to buy the matching lip liner to the lipstick it felt like I was buying double of the same product! that was until i discovered how useful they can be. i recently purched a clear ( yes you red that right) lip primer from Bite Cosmetics. let me tell you, this make life so much better especially for these matt colors! the product leaves your lips feeling smooth and minty, it conditions them and helps your lip product apply smoother and last even longer. Over Compulsive Cosmetics has a anti- feathering lip liner as well but I have no gotten my hands on it yet. This product is supposed to keep your lipsticks on your lips rather that the rest of your face!
2. Own it- once i stopped by a mac counter and took a snoop around the lipstick display. (because don't we all?) of course the lovely sales person came up to me to see if i needed anything. Let me tell you, she had on the most amazing bright orange lipstick that ever existed! (orange being my favorite color of course) after i complmented her i told her that i could never wear such bright color. she told me that you can wear what every you want as long as you own it. if look and act like you own the look, or for that matter own what ever it is your doing, you can get away with everything! that what i think about when i wear any kind of make up. i love it, i own it.
3. Finding the Right Red- there are so many different shades of red out there my 12 shades shown below are proof of that. keep in mind that different shades compliment different skin tones and looks. another example blue toned reds makes your teeth look whiter, orange toned tones more than orange toned. this is one of those things where you want to play around and find out what looks good on you. maybe go to a counter and ask one of the make up artists to help you find a good red for you. and don't be afraid to try them out.
4. Keep the rest of your make up clean and simple- your already drawing attention with a statement lip. keep the rest of your make up simple. for the most part, you want to draw attention to only one facial feature at a time . Weather its your eyes with a sexy smoke eye, your lips with a bold color, or your bone structure with contouring, by only highlight one of theses at a time you'll avoid looking like a clown or having people look at your funny because your wearing a ridiculous amout of make up. think simple wing liner or just simple black eye line, and flawless foundation job.
5. top up!- drop that lipstick in your bag and bring it with you! your going to want to reapply that bad boy after your eat and drink! especially if you going to a big event like a wedding or party. the last think you want is to look back in photos and see that your lips where fading funny.
Here are my red lipsticks that i own (all bought with my own money) to give you an idea of some of the variety of red that are out there:
1. Rimmel London Lasting finish by Kate Moss in 107- this is a deeper pinky-purple red. the whole Kate Moss collaboration line is amazing and affordable! they apply smooth with great pigmentation, they have a good lasting finish and smell sweet. i find my self looking at the display each and every time i go to the drug store or Ulta. they have a good variety of colors and your should defiantly check it out next time you head out.
2. Rimmel London Lasting finish by Kate Moss in 111- this is your true basic red
3. Rimmel London Lasting finish by Kate Moss in 10- bright blue toned red
4. Rimmel London Lasting finish by Kate Moss in 11- a cherry red. This is on of my go to colors.
5. Revlon Really Red- this is your classic true red with slight orange under tones
6. Cover girl 355 tempt berry- like that name would suggest its a berry toned red. leans a bit more on the pinky purple side
7. Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Red Velvet- love this as an everyday color its beautiful sheer berry red. This is another one of my staples that always ends up in my bag.
8. Rimmel London Lasting finish 124 Bordeaux- burgundy thats a bit on the purple side.
9. MAC living legend matt finish- dark oxblood purple red. i have a whole other blog post review on this one. (here)
10. Nars velvet matte lip pencil in cruella- this is the 2015 Sephora birthday present! is is surprisingly creaming on the lips and very comfortable wear for a matt lip color. it makes me want to look in to the whole line of lip pencil And comes off as a deeper true red
11. Sephora cream lip stain in 01- this is a Matt finish, and has a creamy consistency. its really good applying to the lip. its dose dry totally matt. its great for such a classic red and dose not move all day. but if you don't like dry feelings on your lips or your like me a tend to rub your lips together often buy with caution. i tried to put chapstick on underneath but that took away its staying power an i felt like it moved off my lips and on to the rest of my face ( let me know on the comments if you want an indepth review/ vlog of the wear time through out the day!)
12. Cailyn tinted lip balm in big apple - i got this in an ipsy back a while back and at first i didn't love it. it says "balm" in the title and that it is not. i didn't like the texture, the way it applies or the finish. i felt like it was way to drying. then i realized that thin coat could act like lip liner/ primer base for my other reds!
Well thats all i have today, as you can see I'm a bit obsessed with lip products in general.I find my collection constantly growing. comment down blow with your favorite lipstick ( red or not) and share your tips you use when you wear them. till next week!
All my love,